Friday, March 27, 2009

What is this?

Monday, Derek and I went to the fruit stand to purchase some fruit. I saw what I thought was a kiwi. I asked the guy working, "Are these kiwis?" He said, "Yes, they are not ready yet. They will be by Wednesday." So I bought a bag full and few other items. We patiently waited around and last night I decided they were ripe enough to eat. I cut one open and this is what I found.

Clearly, not a kiwi! When I squeezed it this milky looking liquid came out. I decided to be brave and try it...this was a big mistake! It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever tasted!

I am not smiling because I liked it! Notice the water is running...that is because as soon as I tasted it I had to wash my mouth out with the closest thing available! Derek was laughing hysterically at me...he said my face was priceless. Too bad he did not have the camera waiting when I first tasted it.

We went to the grocery store today and bought what we knew were kiwis! We can finally have what we waited for all week!

Now, I need your help! Does anyone know what is mysterious fruit is? I have no idea what it is! Please let me know!


UPDATE:

I think I found what it is:
http://www.deliciousorganics.com/recipes/exoticfruit.htm

Sapodilla are a sweet creamy fruit with brown skin about the size of a small tomato. It has a unique fruity and spicy flavor like cinnamon, pear, banana, melon and apple when ripe. They are like a mini-Mamey. The Chinese call them "the fruit of life" and their flavor lives up to the name. The sap is used to make chicle, chewing gum.

How to tell if it's ripe: It will be soft when ripe. Leave it on your counter; it may take 5 days or so. Keep it in your refrigerator once ripe.

How to use it: Simply cut and enjoy. The skin is tough and cannot be eaten, nor can the seeds. But the meat is juicy and sweet and very unique and delicious in flavor.

Nutrition: They are delicious and a good source of fiber and Vitamin C while being low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium.

Photobucket

No comments: